Every language has its own collection of wise sayings. They offer advice about how to live and also transmit some underlying ideas, principles and values of a given culture. These sayings are popularly called idioms.
Idioms are expressions that are not to be taken literally; instead, one must understand the meaning that lies behind them. For example, it’s raining cats and dogs has nothing to do with cats and dogs falling from the sky, but actually refers to heavy or unusual rains.
Some idioms are very common in the English language. Take a look at them 👇🏿
1. Break a leg
Meaning – Good luck!
- Mary’s friends told her to break a leg right before she began her speech.
2. When pigs fly
Meaning – Something that will never happen
- He will surely submit his assignments when pigs fly.
3. Eat a horse
Meaning – extremely hungry
- I’ve been so busy all morning, I could eat a horse for lunch.
4. Beat around the bush
Meaning – avoid the subject by talking about irrelevant topics
- Jessica doesn’t beat around the bush; she’s up front and honest.
5. Piece of cake
Meaning – very easy
- National level entrance examination is not a piece of cake.
6. Don’t judge a book by its cover
Meaning – don’t judge someone/something based on appearance
- The hotel did not look appealing from the outside, but you should not judge a book by its cover. The food was really good.
7. Under the weather
Meaning – slightly sick or ill
- My brother did not go for the tournament because he was under the weather.
8. Get down to business
Meaning – start getting serious about something
- The students will be honouring the chief guest with welcome songs and memento before we get down to business.
9. In a nutshell
Meaning – to summarise something into few words
- In a nutshell, the newspaper article blamed the citizens for an increase in crimes in the city.
10. The elephant in the room
Meaning – problem or matter of great importance which is not discussed openly
- The fact that his 40-year-old brother was still living with his parents was a big elephant in the room at the wedding.
Wish to learn more? Take a look at these festive idioms 👇🏿💃
Wish to improve your English language or prepare for IELTS? Join us!
At WhiZo, we provide Live interactive online classes (via Zoom app) wherein you can learn English Language and/or prepare to ace IELTS at the comfort of your home. Our course content is infused with fun and engaging language games and activities to make the learning process enjoyable. So, what are you waiting for? Book a FREE trial class now!