It can be difficult to find the right words to say when a friend or loved one dies. We want to say something to bring them comfort and let them know we’re thinking of them while they’re going through this difficult time, but we’re afraid to say the wrong thing.
When someone close to us dies, it can be difficult to find the right words to express our sorrow, but that shouldn’t stop us from reaching out. One of the most helpful things for a grieving person is to know that others care and are willing to help. To put it plainly: communication is key.
Below you will find some phrases to use in case you are at a loss as to what to say👇🏾
- I am (so) sorry for your loss.
- My heartfelt condolences.
- I was heartbroken when I heard the sad news.
- Words cannot express my sorrow for your loss.
- I am here for you if you need anything.
- He/she will be missed.
- You were such a dedicated friend/daughter/brother/sister to…
- Thinking of you at this difficult time…
- My favourite memory of him/her will always be…
- I’ll take care of your dog for as long as you need.
- Please accept these flowers from our family.
- Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- As you grieve, know we’re remembering you and honoring the memory of…
- Saying goodbye to a loved one is never easy. If only I could absorb some of your pain, I gladly would. My deepest sympathies.
Ways to express condolences💔
A gesture of condolence expresses sorrow for a person’s loss and demonstrates compassion for their suffering. After settling on a condolence message, you can send it to the bereaved in a variety of ways:
- you can visit the person/family and deliver the message face-to-face
- you can call or message the words of comfort
- you can also post a sympathetic comment on a social media post the person has made about their loss
- you can take food to the family of the deceased and include a hand-written sympathy note