Whether you’re at a party talking to someone you’ve just met or catching up with old friends, it can be difficult to think of interesting things to talk about. If you want to start a conversation with someone on a stimulating, illuminating, and enjoyable note, you’ll need to come up with more than,
“So, this place, huh?”
How you begin a conversation often depends on the context of the situation you’re in:
- Location: Seeing someone in a restaurant, café, airport, or at school can have an impact on the sorts of things you can say.
- Event: Are you at a party? Attending a wedding? At a concert? We’ll share some phrases that will help you based on what is going on around you.
Conversation Starters: First Meeting👇🏾
- Are you having a good time?
- Do you know a lot of people here?
- What are you reading right now?
- What’s your favorite restaurant around here?
- What’s the next exciting event you have coming up?
- Doing anything fun this weekend?
- Do you have any pets?
- What’s one interesting thing about yourself no one really knows?
- What do you do for a living?
- If you could move anywhere, where would you go?
- What was the last movie you saw?
- What do you normally do for fun?
- What hobby do you wish you had more time for?
- If you weren’t here, what would you be doing?
- What is your favorite holiday?
Conversation Starters: Deep Talks👇🏾
- What are your long-term goals?
- Who is your role model?
- What did you want to be when you were a kid?
- What is your biggest regret in life?
- What are the top three things on your bucket list?
- What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
- What is one thing you wish you could do that you know you probably never will?
- What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?
- Tell me about the most life-changing piece of advice you’ve ever heard.
- When are you the most happy?
- What always calms you down when you’re really stressed out and upset?
- Who in your life has had the most influence on you?
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
- What scares you the most about the future?
Conversation Starters: Workplace👇🏾
- What made you choose this as your career?
- What do you love most about your job?
- What was your first job?
- How long have you been at your current job?
- Why do you think you were hired?
- What is the most frustrating thing about your job?
- What are your goals when it comes to work?
- What inspires you at work each day?
- If you could change one thing about this industry, what would it be?
- Who has been your career role model?
- Do you ever travel for your job? Where have you gone?
- How do you keep yourself organized every day?
- What do you think makes someone a great manager?
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve taken on this year?
Conversation Starters for Kids👇🏾
- What’s your favorite subject/class?
- Who is your favorite teacher? Why is that person your favorite teacher?
- What subject do you wish you never had to take?
- Who is your best friend in your grade?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- If you could be any animal, which would it be?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What do you love the most about your mom and dad?
- Where do you wish you were right now?
- What’s your favorite song?
- Who’s your favorite cartoon character?
- Do you have a favorite Disney character?
- If you could change one thing about school, what would it be?
- Do you like to swim?
Conversation Starters for Any Situation👇🏾
- What’s your favorite thing in the whole world?
- If you could spend your time doing anything, what would you do?
- What’s your dream [job, vacation, etc.]?
- Are you a dog or cat person?
- Who is your favorite actor or actress?
- Where’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever been?
- What’s your favorite place in the world?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- What was your favorite childhood TV show?
So there you have it. There are a variety of conversation starters at your disposal. Yes, the thought of striking up a conversation with a complete stranger can be a little scary. Especially if you don’t share a common language with them.
Nonetheless, overcoming your inhibitions is the first step toward learning a new language and expanding your circle of interesting friends. Just remember:
- Be friendly
- Be honest
- Take the pressure off
Wish to improve your English Language or prepare for IELTS? Join us!
At WhiZo, we provide Live interactive online classes (via Zoom app) wherein you can learn English Language and/or prepare to ace IELTS at the comfort of your home. Our course content is infused with fun and engaging language games and activities to make the learning process enjoyable. So, what are you waiting for? Book a FREE trial class now!
Leave a Reply