A paraprosdokian is an unexpected ending to a sentence or statement. In Greek, it means “against expectations”. It usually places the first part of the statement in a new, hilarious context.
Paraprosdokians by famous people📸👇🏾
- Albert Einstein – “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.”
- Benjamin Franklin – “Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”
- Hugh Herbert – “I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn’t it.”
- Oscar Wilde – “Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others, whenever they go.”
- Richard Siken – “We clutch our bellies and roll on the floor… When I say this, it should mean laughter, not poison.”
- Stephen King – “I have the heart of a small boy – in a glass jar on my desk.”
- Terry Pratchett – “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
- Zsa Zsa Gabore – “He taught me housekeeping; when I divorce I keep the house.”
Some more paraprosdokians💃🏾👇🏾
- A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.
- Always swim or dive with a friend. It reduces your chance of shark attack by 50%.
- Being smart is knowing how to get out of a tough situation. Being wise is not getting into it in the first place.
- Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
- Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool.
- Eat what you want and if someone lectures you about it, eat them too!
- Evening news is where they begin with “Good evening” and then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.
- Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
- I was going to wear my camouflage shirt today, but I couldn’t find it.
- I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
- Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
- She got her good looks from her father; he’s a plastic surgeon.
- The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.
- The last time I was someone’s type, I was donating blood.
- The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
- To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
- You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
- We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
- Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
Can you think of any other statements that have such weird endings? Let us know in the comments below!👇🏾
Wish to improve your English Language or prepare for IELTS? Join us!
At WhiZo, we provide Live interactive online classes (via Zoom app) wherein you can learn English Language and/or prepare to ace IELTS at the comfort of your home. Our course content is infused with fun and engaging language games and activities to make the learning process enjoyable. So, what are you waiting for? Book a FREE trial class now!
Leave a Reply